Monday, April 23, 2012

Why do you prep?


I guess the best way to start off a blog about beginning to prep is to first get to know each other, and explain what I hope to accomplish with the blog.

I am SallyD.  I am a prepper, and I am married to a prepper.  I am fond of saying "we may not always be a good couple, but we are a great prepping team".

So why do I prep?

For me, the reason I hideaway food and other items is to be prepared for a bump in the road. You know those everyday crises that can scare anyone:



·         a tornado,

·         hurricane,

·         job layoff,

·          family coming to visit for an extended time.



Granted some of these can be more than a simple bump in the road, not every hurricane is going to severely impact my area, but I may end up without power.  Just in case, I have water and foods stored that I can cook on my camping stove.  I am not a paranoid prepper, but a practical prepper. I am not trying to have everything together by a certain date, but I put away a little bit at a time. For instance,  I have a grain mill, but not a whole lot of grain. I have water, but I know not near enough. I have can food, but not enough for sure. I placed the man of my dreams in charge of security so my share of those plans is limited. Not to say that I don’t have some input in the security arena, but I trust him to take care of those issues and keep me informed.  One day I may get him to chime in on here about his security preparations and his future goals.  For me, I made sure that God is overseeing all my prepping adventures, without Him in our lives none of my preps matters.

Why do I think I can help anyone else with my blog?

I am new at this and I know that some of you out there are new too.  I know for me I am excited when I feel like I made a small step.  I am afraid to ask questions, especially when some blogs are on the extreme-side, so I researched quite a bit on my own.   In my searching I read lots of other blogs, and plan on, (with permission of course), linking other blogs and sites here when I see something I find helpful or answers to one of my many questions.  There are a lot of sites out there with great information and hopefully some of you can point me to your websites and blogs.  My plan is to link the some of the great merchants out there, and review some of the products available to us.  When something we find works let’s celebrate, and of course if we find something that didn’t work out too well we can talk about that too.

So that is about it for my first post and I hope that we can prep together for whatever bumps in the road we come across.  

Now the fun part, getting to know you and why you are prepping.  Remember when posting or commenting, if you can’t say anything nice, don’t post at all, and always be respectful to others.  We all aren’t prepping for TEOTWAWKI, but we are prepping for something.

No comments:

Post a Comment